Subject: [Leica] Campaign solicits race of Arizona Star photographer, turns away t wo Albuquerque Journal Reporters
From: s.dimitrov at charter.net (Slobodan Dimitrov)
Date: Thu Aug 5 11:05:11 2004

I used to think that the old joke, of the average individual getting a post
card on Monday to come in for a lobotomy willingly on Friday, far fetched.
I'm not so sure of that any more.
S. Dimitrov

> From: George Lottermoser <george@imagist.com>
> Date: Thu,  5 Aug 2004 11:35:18 -0500
> To: Leica Users Group <lug@leica-users.org>
> Subject: RE: [Leica] Campaign solicits race of Arizona Star photographer,
> turns away t wo Albuquerque Journal Reporters
>
> B. D. Colen8/4/04
>> The thought that a Presidential campaign would even think to ask the
>> race of a reporter or photographer being assigned to cover an event is
>> appalling - as is the idea that they would want to know how the person
>> was registered as a voter.
>
> Add to the appalling trends the isolation of of dissent by both parties
> and I
> believe we have some serious problems.
>
> Bush Zones Go National
>
> by JIM HIGHTOWER
>
> [from the August 16, 2004 issue of The Nation]
>
> At the 2000 GOP nominating convention in Philadelphia, candidate Bush
> created
> a fenced-in, out-of-sight protest zone that could only hold barely 1,500
> people at a time. So citizens who wished to give voice to their many
> grievances with the Powers That Be had to:
>
> (1) Schedule their exercise of First Amendment rights with the decidedly
> unsympathetic authorities.

   (2) Report like cattle to the protest pen at their designated time, and
only in the numbers authorized.