Subject: [Leica] Yesterday's outing
From: robertmeier at usjet.net (robertmeier@usjet.net)
Date: Wed Aug 4 07:03:49 2004

Daniel,

Very, very nice shots.   I especially like this one --
http://www.rollei-gallery.net/ridings/image-71321.html -- inspite of its
being in color and inspite of its coming from a digital camera.   But all
the B&W's are lovely; they have a powerful atmospheric effect and the
texture and age of the stones is almost palpable.  This looks very much like
the Norman churches in England.

Bob

And my wife is stressing me up to return the favor (she was my driver
yesterday):

http://www.rollei-gallery.net/ridings/image-71326.html

The roads looked like this:
http://www.rollei-gallery.net/ridings/image-71307.html
http://www.rollei-gallery.net/ridings/image-71316.html
http://www.rollei-gallery.net/ridings/image-71311.html

So this will be brief. All b/w rectangle a Leica M2 50 or 35. All squares
with a Rolleiflex 3.5E and all color with the Canon Powershot A70 that I
borrowed from my daughter. A kind of minimalist outing. It rained (not
drizzled) all day.

Olof Sk?tkonung was the first king to be baptized in 1012. We can't really
say "Swedish" king ... he, like all the others, were more or less puny
punks. He did reign over Svealand and G?taland, but when he allowed
himself to be baptized, trouble started and he ended up being an even
punier punk. This is the spring:

http://www.rollei-gallery.net/ridings/image-71314.html

It was covered up for a while (reminded the Luterhans too much of the
Catholic days) but the rubble is now removed.

He was baptized by Bishop Sigfrid, Bishop of V?xj?, but originally from
York. You can still see the Celtic bakground in the old gravestones.

http://www.rollei-gallery.net/ridings/image-71336.html
http://www.rollei-gallery.net/ridings/image-71306.html

These churches are old (most from the 1100's) and you can still find the
borderline between heather and Christian. This rune stone is in the
graveyard as such a reminder:

http://www.rollei-gallery.net/ridings/image-71312.html

And next to the church is a "mound", heather burial place. It's 70 meters
in diameter. No big thing really, just a mound (man made) with cow poop on
top.

http://www.rollei-gallery.net/ridings/image-71320.html
http://www.rollei-gallery.net/ridings/image-71323.html
http://www.rollei-gallery.net/ridings/image-71322.html

Sk?tkonung donated goods to the church. It was built in the 1100's:

http://www.rollei-gallery.net/ridings/image-71325.html

The two candles to the left were put there by my wife and I, for our
fathers, I would think. Mine was ... you don't talk about it. You light
one in silent prayer.

http://www.rollei-gallery.net/ridings/image-71327.html

These churches are still being used (by the dwindling Christian
population and Easter and Christmas Christians):

http://www.rollei-gallery.net/ridings/image-71338.html
http://www.rollei-gallery.net/ridings/image-71339.html
http://www.rollei-gallery.net/ridings/image-71340.html

And now I can tell you no more. She's back, and I have to go.

I was fascinated by old stones from the 1600 and 1700's, paintings from
the 1600's, stuff like that ... anything to get out of the house ... which
I imperatively must do now ...

Best,
Daniel