Subject: [Leica] Born At Risk...
From: bdcolen at earthlink.net (B. D. Colen)
Date: Mon Aug 2 10:54:55 2004

Peter, you're batting 1000!

Photographing family and friends, whether for personal satisfaction or
pay, can be just a rewarding, and in some ways even more meaningful,
than spending a life-time chronicling the tattooed hog riders and crack
addicts. Chronicling the life of a family is of immense value and
meaning to the family, and to future generations of the family. Further,
its of sociological value.

When I took Eugene Richards' workshop last summer the best photos I shot
- at the end of the week on my own - were of Richards and his son. And
when I looked at the slides on the light table - having had a really
awful week in terms of the quality of what I'd been shooting - I said to
myself, "These MUST have been shot with Leica glass!! :-)" (Just kidding
---) I looked at them and thought, 'I'm NOT Gene Richards; I don't want
to spend a year living with crack addicts; THIS is what I do - and it
has real value.

Besides, when a really, really successful photo book only sells 3,000
copies, what does any of it matter to anyone other than the photographer
and his or her immediate family?

:-)

B. D.