Subject: [Leica] Born At Risk...
From: bdcolen at earthlink.net (B. D. Colen)
Date: Mon Aug 2 09:47:22 2004

Welllllllll....There is no question that access is vitally important.
But so is the individual eye. Ted Grant's eye is Ted Grant's eye, and
that eye is going to ultimately determine what images come back from a
given location. And as to Gene Richards - his personal passion and
belief in what he's doing from a social-political point of view play a
large part in what comes back. His images are HIS images - I'm sure I
could pick one out of a pile of prints shot by half-a-dozen very good
people all shooting in the same place.

But what you say about not chucking it is absolutely true - and that was
the point I was trying to make before. I now look at his work - or yours
for that matter-  and say, 'wow,' I want to ultimately be as close to
that - as B. D. Colen - as I can be. I'm never going to be Ted Grant -
I'll never be old enough :-) :-) :-) - and I'll never be Gene Richards -
I don't have the passion, nor do I have the willingness to go the kinds
of places he goes - but I can be the best me I can be...

B. D.