Subject: [Leica] Summilux Asph arrives: The Graphic Truth (part 3 or 4 I forget)
From: telyt at earthlink.net (Doug Herr)
Date: Mon Aug 2 06:42:59 2004

on 8/1/04 9:48 PM, John Collier at jbcollier@shaw.ca wrote:

> ... a sample of what happens when the sun is just out of the
> frame and shining on the lens:
>
> http://gallery.leica-users.org/50-Summilux-Asph-samples/flare

I suspect that this flare, like the occasional flare I noticed with the 35mm
Summicron-R, is a result of the sun being withtin the image circle but
outside the film gate, and the light projected into the throat of the camera
is bouncing around between the lens and film (in SLR-speak that's the mirror
chamber).  Except for situations like this I found the 35mm Summicron-R to
be essentially flare-proof.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com