Subject: [Leica] Attack of the purple chemistry: JOBO, T-MAX, and XTOL
From: daniel.ridings at muspro.uio.no (Daniel Ridings)
Date: Mon Aug 2 06:40:53 2004

Karen,
I'd always heard that, but I started using Tmax 400 a few weeks ago
(Tri-X, particularly the new one is for the birds). I just rinse the film
according to the Ilford technique (cover the film, agitate 5 times, dump
out, cover the film, agitate 10 times, dump out, cover the film, agitate
20 times and dump out).

I get clear, clean negatives. I fix in Ilford Hypam (a rapid fixer) for
twice the recommended time (4 minutes instead of 2).

I'm a little irritated at myself. Having been so dissatisfied with the new
Tri-X, why did it take me so long to give 400 Tmax a try? I actually like
the stuff. I started out by following Kodak's recommendations for Tmax
developer and have never really felt the need to do any adjusting.

My agitation is "vigorous". Always an empty reel above the film reel (2 if
I process two rolls) and just enough chemicals to cover the bottom reels
with film. The same for washing. I notice that the purple comes out with
the fixer.

It's pretty good stuff. I had shot it years ago with D76 and got the blown
out highlights, but not any more.

Daniel