Subject: [Leica] Gosh, really Buzz?
From: bdcolen at earthlink.net (B. D. Colen)
Date: Fri Jul 30 14:09:27 2004

Reminds me of the time in about 1973-74, when a friend and I set out to
canoe the St. John's River -which forms part of the Maine/US/Canadian
border, from it's headwaters to Ft. Kent, below the point where it joins the
Allagash. As we drove into Canada to start our trip, a friendly border agent
stuck his head in the window of the car with the canoe on top, asked where
we were headed, and wished us good luck. Period. Coming back, crossing into
the U.S., the thug - no other word for it - with the very big revolver on
his hip, asked what we'd been doing in Canada. "Canoeing the St. John," we
said. "But what were you doing?" he demanded. "Canoeing." "Were you
fishing?" "Nope, just canoeing." He didn't like that. And at that point
asked that we open the trunk of the car so that he could search it.

I love many things about my country, but....