Subject: [Leica] More tripping: Cinque Terre and Venice (aka PAWs 29 and 30)
From: aaron.sandler at duke.edu (Aaron Sandler)
Date: Fri Jul 30 09:19:34 2004

Continuing to work my way through my vacation snaps, I've at last caught up
with my PAWs taken while I was away.

PAW 29 is 4 shots from the Cinque Terre, which, again, I'd highly recommend.

The main shot is from the town square in Vernazza, which attracts all the
locals each night to walk around or sit and talk or drink coffee or
flirt.  One night there was a cat asleep in the middle of the sqaure,
seemingly oblivious to all the activity, so I sat down on the ground and
took a pic.  21mm c/v lens handheld at a slow shutter speed.
http://www.duke.edu/~ajs2/PAW/2004_29/index.html

Alt1 is an early morning beach scene in Monterosso, which I liked
graphically.
http://www.duke.edu/~ajs2/PAW/2004_29/pages/alt1.html

Alt2 gives an idea of the views from the trails that connect the five towns.
http://www.duke.edu/~ajs2/PAW/2004_29/pages/alt2.html

Alt3 shows Riomaggiore, one of the five towns.  This is the town we ended
up at after continuing to walk along the coastline shown in the previous
photo.  None of the towns allow cars in their centers, and all rely heavily
on boats for transport and fishing, which explains all the boats parked
along the streets.
http://www.duke.edu/~ajs2/PAW/2004_29/pages/alt3.html

----------------------

PAW 30 shows four shots from Venice of some folks who looked like locals.

The woman in the main shot attracted my attention with her expression,
makeup, dyed hair, and general sort-of imperious nature:
http://www.duke.edu/~ajs2/PAW/2004_30/index.html

In Alt1 I was attracted by this woman's expression as she listened to her
friend's story in a square:
http://www.duke.edu/~ajs2/PAW/2004_30/pages/alt1.html

Alt2 was for the light and the dreamy look of the guy on the Vaporetto.
http://www.duke.edu/~ajs2/PAW/2004_30/pages/alt2.html

And, last but not least, Alt3 reminds me that Venice is a living city,
constantly fighting a battle to keep itself maintained as the islands
continue to sink:
http://www.duke.edu/~ajs2/PAW/2004_30/pages/alt3.html

Thanks for looking,
Aaron