Subject: [Leica] night summer in Paris
From: bdcolen at earthlink.net (B. D. Colen)
Date: Wed Jul 28 06:59:26 2004

Yes and no, Buzz - If the lack of focus, proper exposure, and/or grain
distract, then the image is devalued. Were Capa's images not of the
D-Day landing they'd never have been accepted for or as anything. And,
the damage done to the negatives actually adds to the impact of the
prints, because it adds an element of blurr, of action, and a sense of
the danger faced by the subjects and the photographer. But this Paris
Night photo is a lovely image degraded by its technical flaws, because
while one is taken by its composition, the smile of the woman, the man
on the right, one also looks at it thinking, "was this processed in
orange juice? How far was it blown up? Did the photographer crop a tiny
segement of an otherwise crappy shot, trying to save it?" I'm not
suggesting that the later is the case at all, but I do think that
focus,exposure, and grain count for something... ;-)

Yr Buddy....B. D.