Subject: [Leica] More RD-1 Samples
From: bdcolen at earthlink.net (B. D. Colen)
Date: Sun Jul 25 08:46:02 2004

There's no question, Ted, that we expect different "grain" at different
isos = the higher the iso, the more grain we expect. The
problem/difference with digital, however, is that the grain/noise is
much higher/worse in the shadows. So an image shot at 400 iso with a
typical 5mgp digicam with small sensor may be fine in the bright areas
of the image, but look like hell in the shadows. The 5 mgp digis are
generally 'okay' at 400, and can certainly be cleaned up with noise
reduction software. And the larger the sensor, the less this is a
problem - my E-1 DSLR is just fine at 400 and even 800, and with noise
reduction software looks as good at 1600 and 3200 as does film shot at
those speeds. Same with Nikon and Canon DSLRs. But the digicams all use
the smaller sensors, and the smaller the sensor, the more noise. That's
the BIG problem  with the new crop of 8mgp digicams. They have the same
small sensors, but more mgp crammed in. And at 400 they are AWFUL,
although at low isos they are absolutely gorgeous. I just came back from
a couple of days shooting on St Johns in the Virgin Islands, and used
both the E1 and the C8080 8 mgp digicam. I used the C8080 at 50 -64 -
and 100 iso, and the images look like slides. But I simply don't shoot
that camera at 400.

B. D.