Subject: [Leica] R-D1 sample
From: mail at gpsy.com (Karen Nakamura)
Date: Sun Jul 25 05:02:59 2004

Today I was at Bic Camera in Shinjuku and they had a pre-production
camera (Serial #201) on hand to play with a bit. The camera is
officially going on sale on Friday for a price of Y312,000 with a 10%
"point" discount = ~$2500.

My comments based on about 5 minutes of fiddling with it:

  * The rangefinder was out of vertical calibration! The salesdroid
didn't even notice it. This was very disturbing to me.

* The rangefinder patch was not as brilliantly clear as my M7/M2. I'm
not sure if that's normal to the Bessa series of if the
pre-production unit was a prototype. It was adequate but not
spectacular and may account for some of the focusing errors we're
seeing in the sample photos.

* The analogue dials are very cute but I'm worried about their
long-term reliability.

* The wind lever stroke is very short, very quiet, and solid. Three thumbs
up!

* The interface was *very* snappy. The jog-dial (aka rewind dial)
worked like a charm.

They showed some photos taken with the R-D1 and printed on 10x12
inkjets. *Very* nice. Easily the same quality as my EOS 10D. Corners
were very sharp even with wide-angles. The amount of shadow and
highlight details is excellent.

Conclusion? I'm worried about the long-term ruggedness. The vertical
calibration bothered me. I'm going to wait a few months for the price
to settle down (usually they take 10-20% off after a few months) and
see what happens.

Just about *every* photo magazine in Tokyo has a "review" of the
R-D1. It's the surprise hit because it's so unusual.

Karen

--
Karen Nakamura

Replies: Reply from bdcolen at earthlink.net (B. D. Colen) ([Leica] R-D1 sample)