Subject: [Leica] More RD-1 Samples
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Sat Jul 24 16:59:41 2004

FRANK DERNIE offered:
Subject: Re: [Leica] More RD-1 Samples

> Hi Ted,
> I have the Panasonic lika digi 2. It is nowhere near
> as good as my APS sized sensor digi SLR so is unlikely
> to be anywhere near as good as a properly engineered
> digi rangefinder with a reasonably sized sensor.<<<<

Hi Frank,
I guess I have to borrow a few digi cameras so I can see what the difference
is in quality one onto the other. Because when I look at 13X19 prints from
the Digilux 2, I have a hard time imagining a better, sharper, more detailed
photograph than it produces off an Epson 2200 printer.

I know those $9 - $10 grand SLR's make a difference due to a larger capture
sensor. My son has a couple of them for his sports work and without question
there's a difference. But anything I've seen from 4 - 5- 6 mgp's doesn't
appear to make any difference to my eye.

Now given I'm a quintessential digi cam / print rookie, I assume my eye
isn't fine tuned to the nuances of digi quality from the lesser size
sensors. And or the inner electronic capabilities with each camera.

Given I've shot 99.9% of my digi shooting over the past 5 months with the
Digi 2 set to auto everything, I'm still blown away with the quality out
doors & indoors by available light. Not only that, it's the quality of the
after prints when one can see pores in the skin in a portrait style H&S. I
figure any better than these and we'll see under the skin! ;-)

Sure I want to use the best there is in equipment, if the bigger the chip
the better final print, that's fine. However, I don't want it so
sophisticated and expensive that it's beyond the human eye to see the
difference between say a 5 sensor and a 10 sensor. (Just using fictitious
numbers here.)

Particularly when the bottom line is, it's some techie computer geek playing
a numbers game when we can't discern the difference with our eyes. Not to
mention the "more is better syndrome" then corporations stick it to the
buyers for more money, when in reality not a human in a thousand can see the
difference.

How far off am I?

ted

Replies: Reply from frank.dernie at btinternet.com (FRANK DERNIE) ([Leica] More RD-1 Samples)
Reply from images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] More RD-1 Samples)