Subject: [Leica] FYI: legal press release
From: jls at runbox.com (Jeffery Smith)
Date: Sat Jul 24 07:46:02 2004

Depends on where you teach and what. In Louisiana, you don?t need a
masters to teach non-credit courses at a college, but they don?t pay
very well. At my school, we changed our commercial art major to an AAS
(Associate of Applied Science), which recognizes it at a vocational sort
of program rather than a liberal arts program. As a result, our
instructors can start with a bachelor?s (we consider the courses to be
non-transferable).

But if you need a masters for a position and have a wealth of
experience, you can sometimes get a waiver. I tend to lean away from
those. At San Diego State, Desi Arnaz taught some theater courses w/o a
masters. That is the kind of experience I usually look for (and name
recognition). Whatever the case, you will need a full time job or else
you won?t be eligible for benefits and the pay will be ridiculously low.
We pay $33.33 an hour, but when you only work 3 hours a week, it?s hard
to make ends meet.

Jeffery Smith
New Orleans, LA