Subject: [Leica] Digicam resolution - was Nathan's new Canon
From: Jim at hemenway.com (Jim Hemenway)
Date: Mon Jul 19 20:10:16 2004

I haven't read the article in the magazine named below... the following
information from that article was emailed to me by a Canon photographer.

Jim

-----------------------

Photo Techniques, March/April 2004, has an article  in which Neil Lipson
tests the resolution of a Canon 10D versus a Canon 630, using the same
target and even the same lens (a 50mm f1.8.

He draws the following conclusions:

1.) "If you want maximum resolution, buy film and a very good lens".

2.) "My tests show that a 6 megapixel camera gives about one-third the
resolution of film in the center portion of the lens, and about one-half
the resolution of film at the edge. If you look at the worst-case
resolution - which is the edge only - you?ll need a 12-megapixel digital
camera to equal a 35mm film camera. If center resolution is a top
concern, you?ll need about 20 megapixels to equal a 35mm body."

3.) "If you use a zoom - even a very good one - you probably won?t get
90 lp/m in the center"

4.) "Another surprise was that enlargements of the digital photo on the
medium mode (not the high quality one) of the Canon 10D (about 4
megapixels), yielded beautiful 11X14 prints. A colleague took my file,
cropped it, and enhanced the color only (with no sharpening to leave the
resolution unchanged). The resulting print was indistinguishable from a
color negative print, even though my lp/m readings were far different."

Aram Langhans wrote:

<snip>