Subject: [Leica] cassettes reloading and etc
From: doubs43 at cox.net (Walker Smith)
Date: Sat Jul 17 08:53:17 2004

>Ah yes, c. I'm beginning to think that I do not have a Watson. I looked up
>loaders in some old catalogs I have from the 60s and 70s, when I acquired
>this loader from an indigent BU student, and they don't have pictures. And
>my loader does not have any little turning mechanism. I might well try to
>manually replicate your instructions. I learn something every day. Well,
>maybe every few days. OTOH maybe I am forgetting what I've learned...
>
>bill h

If it's a Watson, it should say so on it...... molded into the plastic.
The "turning mechanism" mentioned is simply the knob that holds the
spool in position while turning the crank and is on the opposite end
from the crank. On the inside of the loader, the knob will have a flat
circular piece that holds the flat spring away from the cassette body
and around the circumference will be three slots evenly spaced at 120
degree intervals. Those slots are designed to engage the cassette's pin
and, when the cassette has been loaded, the knob is turned and thus
closes the cassette before the loader is opened to extract the loaded
cassette.

The Prinz 66 is almost identical in design and works the same way.

I hope this helps some.

Walker Smith