Subject: [Leica] Photo student harassed in Seattle by Homeland Security - OR - How stupid and inept ARE our law enforcement officials?
From: bdcolen at earthlink.net (B. D. Colen)
Date: Thu Jul 15 11:54:54 2004

The following is a TRUE story - If I've told it before, forgive me:

About one month after 9/11 I had occasion to drive across the Hudson
River on the Tapanzee Bridge, a very low, flat affair with an unimpeded
view up the river - toward, among other things, a power plant, and down
the river toward Manhattan. As I pulled onto the bridge in the middle
lane, headed west toward the NY thruway, I noticed slightly ahead of me
in the far right hand lane a Honda prelude driving at about 40 mph with
its blinker lights on. The sun roof was open and - swear to God - a
'swarthy' young man was standing up through the sunroof, VIDEOTAPING up
and down the river, and video taping views of the bridge. His companions
in the car were two other 'swarthy' individuals.

Now I tend not to be paranoid, and I try to be politically correct - but
this insanity was too much even for me. So I opened my cell phone and
dialed 911. When I got the operator - NY State Police - I told them
where I was, and that I needed to report suspicious activity. They
connected me to some center, where I told my story, provided the license
plate number, the make and model of the car, color, etc. By then we were
close to the western end of the bridge.

The folks at the terror center, or where ever it was, thanks me and said
they'd take care of it right away. And just then I noticed that about
100 yards ahead of me, in the far left western lane, there was an
NYState cruiser - and I told the operator that. Again he thanked me, and
disconnected. And I watched as the cruiser pulled away and disappeared,
leaving me and the video tapers behind.

A few days later, when I hadn't read or heard anything about arrests
connected with video taping the Tapanzee Bridge and the power plant, I
called an investigative reporter friend at Newsday, and told her the
story - gave her the license plate number and make and model of the car.

She checked the plate that I saw on the Honda Prelude driven by three
'swarthy' men in their 20s, and found that it belonged on a Ford
Fairlane registered to the Westchester Co., NY, government! So she
called the county government, and a spokesperson eventually came back to
her and claimed that the plate belonged to the county police,and was on
a car in the county garage.....And if you believe that.....

So...Pretty obviously I had seen what I thought I had seen, complete
with a stolen license plate on the car. And NOTHING was done about it.

So at least it's nice to know that now that every possible target in the
U.S. has been videotaped, photographed, and studied ad nauseum, the
dimbulbs 'protecting' us are hard at work harrassing photo students.

Oh....My kids gave me grief for reporting the three young men, saying
that they were probably just student, or some such, trying out a new
video camera, and because of me they'd end up in Guantanamo. I told my
kids that if they were right, and the three guys were students video
taping a bridge from the sunroof of a moving car only 30 days after 9/11
they were so terminally stupid that they needed to be get someplace like
Gitmo for their own safety!:-)