Subject: [Leica] Reality Check re: Digital vs Film vs Cost
From: george at imagist.com (George Lottermoser)
Date: Wed Jul 14 10:27:12 2004

B. D. Colen7/13/04

>I'm eating crow, George. :-)

No need for that. And sorry that I already sent a reply to one of your
earlier messages.

I wish folks could take along, in these discussions, the idea that in the
history of photography we've always had the "professional, amateur,
scientist, artist? and hobbyist." Moreover, each has used and demanded
different formats, films, lenses, shutters, chemistrys, et al. For some
price has been of little consideration; for others economy had to be
considered. All with serious intent did and continue to consider "quality"
on some level. However we will never agree on "quality" until we define our
terms as regards type of "quality."

I have three clients, all of whom create large scale art metal (not
jewelry). I've tried to demonstrate the up side of digital to them. One of
them demands 4x5 film because he wants that level of detail in his prints.
He also produces the most "creative artistic" work. Another requires slides
because he does alot of teaching and workshop presentation (and is not
powerpoint happy - thank you). And so the Canon 10d becomes first and
formost a replacement for Polaroids in lighting tests, exposure proofing and
secondly a backup for "detail" shots and web images.

Now, I'm driving to the pro lab with the client who wants top quality 4x5
film of his work. We're planning on dropping the film at the lab and having
a nice summer lunch at an outdoor cafe. The lab is gone. I double park and
run into the building to find out where they moved to. Find the new door and
they tell me that they no longer process film. Nor do they have any
enlargers. They will only print from digital files to Lambda. OK ;-( I have
to tell the client the news - it feels a little weird - "Well Seth - here's
the thing - we just spent four hours lighting and working with your $12,000
range hood. We've got the exposed film but we can't get it developed."

I drive to another pro lab. They're still processing c41 and e6 sheet film.
Whew. But they're the last in a city of 3/4 million folk (other than a
couple large commercial studios with inhouse labs). OK. Now I have to figure
out how I give this client 4x5 quality without film. The writing is clearly
on the wall. And right now - today - the answer is set up my own processing
- Jobo - and invest another $15 - $20K for an Imacon scanner or pay $16K -
$30K for medium format back - or - ????

So when I hear folks claiming that paying Leica or anyone else $3K for a
camer back which use my current fine optics and just may produce the file I
need - I have to laugh.

The digital world has brought new opportunities as well as new expenses.
Each of us on this list has to figure it out for ourselves.
        I need equipment which will produce the quality of:
                1. 4x5 film
                2. medium format film
                3. 35mm film
                4. quickness of digital (web use)

And frankly scanners for less than $5K do not get what the film has. These
are the realities of the Pro Studio World and I'm talking top end
portraiture, commercial, fashion.

And then there's the wonderful, fun 35mm B&W wedding stuff - a whole
different world.

This stuff ain't easy to sort out - not for me anyway. I've gone through
scanners as if they're disposable cameras trying to get the detail out of
the medium and large format film. For what I've spent and lost on $700 -
$1200 scanners I could have and should have bought the Imacon - well not
quite.

Fond regards,

G e o r g e   L o t t e r m o s e r,    imagist?

<?>Peace<?>   <?>Harmony<?>  <?>Stewardship<?>

Presenting effective messages in beautiful ways
                                     since 1975
web                               <www.imagist.com>
eMail                        george@imagist.com
voice                              262 241 9375
fax                                262 241 9398
                      Lotter Moser & Associates
10050 N Port Washington Rd  -  Mequon, WI 53092

Replies: Reply from robertmeier at usjet.net (robertmeier@usjet.net) ([Leica] Reality Check re: Digital vs Film vs Cost)