Subject: [Leica] Why a digital M
From: george at imagist.com (George Lottermoser)
Date: Tue Jul 13 11:02:39 2004

B. D. Colen7/13/04
>But don't expect anything at a give-away
>price; don't expect any real innovation; and don't expect a camera that
>is up to the top digital standards at the time of release.

Right on price.
Probably correct re innovation.
However, as someone who's followed Imacon and Kodak digital developments for
over a decade, you may be wrong regarding digital standards. Imacon camera
backs and scanners have maintained their position at the very top of the
line regarding digital capture hardware and software. And kodak has produced
professional digital for a goodly long time.

If we forget about playing leap-frog (i.e. who's got the
latest/gratest/today) and simply look at who keeps making great digital
equipmemt - I can't help but feel good about Kodak, Imacon and Leica working
on the Digi-R and M. The future for these threee companies working together
- creating optical-digital capture devices continue to excite my imagination
and my hopes for build quality, design quality and image quality.

Can they fail? Sure.
Can they succeed in producing the top of line in their respective classes?
They have in the past.

Will they duplicate Canon, Nikon and Olympus? Hopefully not. Is autopilot
photography with my 10d easy, foolproof, fun? Sure. But everytime I pick up
the M or R - I feel - oh wow - so fine - if only it had a relatively hi-rez
chip in it.

Fond regards,

G e o r g e   L o t t e r m o s e r,    imagist?

<?>Peace<?>   <?>Harmony<?>  <?>Stewardship<?>

Presenting effective messages in beautiful ways
                                     since 1975
web                               <www.imagist.com>
eMail                        george@imagist.com
voice                              262 241 9375
fax                                262 241 9398
                      Lotter Moser & Associates
10050 N Port Washington Rd  -  Mequon, WI 53092

Replies: Reply from feli at creocollective.com (Feli di Giorgio) ([Leica] Why a digital M)