Subject: [Leica] WAS: Leica Digital M LCD Monitor. NOW - EXPOSURES.
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Mon Jul 12 15:27:30 2004

Gene asked:
> Last night I started through your new book again and I find new insights
> everytime I leaf through the pages.  One question, Was the OR really that
> dark, or is it due to the bright lights over the table that it looks that
> way?<<<<<<<

Gene
Some of them are as dark almost what you see in print. However, in other
cases the surroundings look darker simply because I expose for the content
I'm recording. And to capture that correctly it makes the surrounding room
look darker.

I must clarify though, at the time of shooting I'm working with M7's on AE
lock.  And without question, I'm completely concentrating on the
illumination of light on the subject, eyes, action! And when it looks right
it's....... click!

An M7 AE selected shutter speed and exposure. :-)  Hey Gene it's so damn
easy when you don't get all the techie exposure crap in the way and just
shoot it! ;-)

No questions about "gee I should allow an extra stop, over expose to balance
etc etc etc."  Man, I just shoot! As there isn't any time to be screwing
around with any kind of exposure mental process!

Truly not much thought into any of it, as it's by instinct of recognizing
how the light, eyes, composition and action all come together!  And in many
cases very little thought goes into the exposure level other than to the
shutter speed showing in the M7 view finder and if it's high enough to hand
hold for a non-shake blurred photograph. It's "click!" ;-)

Like I've said for years about all this photography stuff..... KISS it baby!
Keep it Simple Sweetheart!" ;-)

ted