Subject: [Leica] Digital M
From: bdcolen at earthlink.net (B. D. Colen)
Date: Mon Jul 12 09:03:05 2004

1. And I preface this by saying I may have to eat Epson at some point
when I'm prove to be wrong, but my guess is that Epson is saying this is
a limited run simply to give them a way out if it bombs. We're not
talking about a limited edition point and shoot here, like the Olympus
'O,' nor are we talking about a 'special edition' of an existing camera,
like the Donald Trump diamond-dust coated Leica M. We're talking about a
camera that had to cost a fortune in terms of R&D, and it's pretty
unlikely that Epson would have made that investment for a one-off
limited edition camera.

2. The question of Leica charging a ridiculous price for a digital M
really has little to do with the availability of an Epson digital M
mount. After all, the BessaR2 is available for, what, $490, and the MP
is $2500. The question of what Leica can charge for a digital M has much
more to do with the features it offers, the quality of image it
provides, and the prices of cameras of similar build and image quality.

IMHO, that is... :-)