Subject: [Leica] Dimes For Hunger
From: images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley)
Date: Sun Jul 11 09:04:11 2004

You're on, Ted!  The next trip to Honduras is August 13-22.  It will be a
building trip, not a medical one.  Our medical brigades have visited the
tiny community of Estanzuela, near the border with Guatemala, and provided
basic health care for the 50 families of Chorti Maya people who live
there.  They have a Heifer Project of cattle that is very successful, but
the families' main need now is housing.  They now live in one-room mud huts
with thatched roofs.  We plan to build three-room concrete block houses
with tin roofs.  The community has already started on the foundations for
all 50 houses and are making the concrete blocks themselves.  The community
will finish all 50 houses before anyone moves in and the houses will be
assigned by a lottery.  The group that is going includes several
contractors and we will be taking our own tools and buying some
there.  Nobody needs any specific skills because we'll spend a lot of time
mixing mortar and making rebar.  Anybody can do it.

This trip will be different because Estanzuela is just a few miles outside
of the tourist town of Copan.  Our group will stay in a nice hotel in Copan
with hot water and good food.  One day will be spent touring the Mayan
ruins of Copan - one of the most beautiful of the Mayan ruins in Central
America.  Everybody on this trip is paying $2000 which includes airfare
from Charlotte, room and board and transportation for 9 days, and $800 to
pay for one house.  Anybody who is interested should get in touch with me
ASAP so I can arrange flights and rooms.

The next medical brigade will be to Guatemala in September, but that trip
has been planned for a year and is full.  The next medical brigade to
Honduras will be tentatively June 17-26, 2005.  The way we work the funding
is that you pay one third, your church or sponsors pay one third, and our
presbytery pays one third.  It ends up costing around $2100, including
airfare from Charlotte, lodging and food and transportation for 9 days in
Honduras and medical supplies, so you would pay around $700 yourself and
find a sponsor or church to pay $700.  Normally we require that all of the
participants of trip be able to meet together once a month for 6 months
before the trip to get to know each other and learn about the country and
culture of the people we will be visiting.  I'm sure that could be done by
e-mail instead.

We always need medical people to volunteer, but will take lay people, too,
who will learn to take blood pressures and give out medicines.

If you are still interested and those dates fit your schedule, let me know
so I can start planning.  Thanks for your willingness to help!

Tina

At 07:25 PM 7/10/2004 -0700, you wrote:

>OK kid yer on! Let's talk and I'll donate whatever material I shoot to your
>organization for promotion, wherever whenever.
>And I'll pay all my own way! let's talk.
>ted

Tina Manley, ASMP
www.tinamanley.com

http://www.pdiphotos.com
http://www.workbookstock.com
http://www.newscom.com
http://www.americanphotojournalist.com

Message from msmall at infionline.net (Marc James Small) ([Leica] Dimes For Hunger)
Message from images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] Re: Background music for slide shows)
Message from jcb at visualimpressions.com (JCB) ([Leica] Re: Background music for slide shows)
Message from images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] Background music for slide shows)
Message from images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] Dimes For Hunger)
Message from tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant) ([Leica] Dimes For Hunger)