Subject: [Leica] New York Times anonymous fine art photography Now Mark's screw up
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sun Jul 4 08:54:10 2004

On 7/4/04 7:55 AM, "Ted Grant" <tedgrant@shaw.ca> typed:

> Mark Rabiner said:
>> Isn't that Velvet stuff fuzzy?!!? I think I tried it once.<<<
>
> Hi Mark,
> In a way you may have just given me the answer to a client's concern about
> 13" X19" ....  2200 prints on Epson Velvet Fine Art paper.  "Fuzzy!"

>snippet<
>
> So knocking a couple off on "Archival Matte" paper might just cure this
> problem. Or a couple on Premium Glossy Photo paper.
>
> So my friend you may have inadvertently saved the day in curing this
> clients
> concern and our dilemma of, "the guy's crazy, they look beautiful!" ;-)
> When
> in fact it could be our own fault for using a "non-traditional looking "
> paper for a client inclined to Wal-mart 4X6 glossy prints.
>
> Thanks Mark.
>
> ted

Could be it was just too Mat for them. They needed Mike paper.
Make that gloss paper.
I'd never use Mat paper in the darkroom.
But for inkjet I just like it a lot better than any gloss. Even semi-gloss.
NO trouble getting a great black. I Gess because the pigment or ink is right
on top of the paper with no coating over it. Sure some of it soaks in but
what the hell!?
But that Velvet stuff seemed to fuzzify the image. I'm pretty sure that was
the stuff. But this was a letter sized print which you've got right up to
your face.
A 13x19 like you were doing. A Super A3/B. That's wall size. And might be
less of a tissue issue unless you are always looking at it 4 inches away all
the time like I do but not too many other people do.
I think he was perhaps just not used to NOT gloss or semi gloss plasticy RC
color prints. The quality freaked him out.
"Somebody store my unicorns!!"

Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland Oregon