Subject: [Leica] Fungus now filters
From: dorysrus at mindspring.com (Don Dory)
Date: Fri Jul 2 04:45:25 2004

All,
The Kodak Pro14 or whatever their full frame 14MP camera is rumored to
not use an anti-aliasing filter.  Likewise the internet rumor is that
the D70 does not use one.

At least with the D70 I believe software is used to take the artifacts
away as my friends give really mixed reviews to the output of this
camera.  Like all software, it does what it was written for so if the
subject matter looks like moir? then it will be removed.

My own tests with the D70 would seem to confirm this theory.  Shots of
static objects with edges look really good.  Shots of complicated
leaves, petals, and other really fine detail look like Summar images
wide open(exaggerating here to keep some Leica content).

I wish Austin was still on the list as I believe that some chip design
of some large number of pixels at some pixel pitch could show few
artifacts of detail that the human eye could see.  Really, an
engineering problem using acuity tests for the human eye and physics to
design a sensor that minimizes artifacts in that frequency range.

Don
dorysrus@mindspring.com