Subject: [Leica] kodak tcn-c41 BW @ iso 200~400
From: dorysrus at mindspring.com (Don Dory)
Date: Wed Jun 30 22:04:30 2004

Neil,
The chromagenic films react differently than normal B&W films.  Like
most color negative films, they get "finer grained" as you over expose
them, at least up to a point.

Overexposing doesn't increase contrast on any film, all you are doing is
moving the highlights up the curve as well as moving the shadows out of
the toe and into the main part of the characteristic curve.  What
increases contrast is over development for the exposure given the film.
Think about it, the leader doesn't have a whole lot of contrast after
development does it?

Incidentally, the same thing happens in digital except when you hit 0 on
the digital file you will never see any detail.

Don
dorysurs@mindspring.com