Subject: [Leica] B&W Films/Developers
From: dpost at triad.rr.com (Dan Post)
Date: Wed Jun 30 08:30:57 2004

Mark-
I saw an article about Adams, and from the illustration, it seemed that
looking at his negative they looked almost black; I would assume he
developed them until the curve was WAY up on the shoulder; That would
obviate any 'mottling'!. It would also lessened the contrast range. The
article told of the fellow who did his prints (must be nice to have a
trusted companion to do the scut work!) and used a guide Adams marked on the
sleeves where things were to be dodged, and burned- he indicated it took a
loooong time to get a print. Both from the heavy density, and from the fact
that Adams was very particular about what went out of the darkroom.
Dan