Subject: [Leica] Responding to BD's venting about the Noct
From: mitch.zeissler at verizon.net (Mitch Zeissler)
Date: Sat Jun 26 06:33:45 2004

+++++++++++++++++++++++
<BD> Look at these images, and Joe's otherwise appealing snake sequence...
==
<Mitch> Umm, the snake sequence is mine, BD.

+++++++++++++++++++++++
<BD> ...I want to throw-up; the bokeh is really, really disturbing, a bit
like looking through a bottle bottom on acid. I'm someone who normally
doesn't 'see' bokeh, and doesn't consider it particularly importance. But
this lens is the exception to that rule.
==
<Mitch> Then go puke and get it out of your system.  I realize it's an
acquired taste, but we already know from your continual postings on the
subject that you hate Noct imagery when shot wide open.  So get over it
already.  I used the Noct stopped down on these images
(http://mysite.verizon.net/vze1ssgc/Noct/FathersDay/index.htm), and you
didn't have any negative comments to offer.

+++++++++++++++++++++++
<BD> I can see using the Nocti when there's no other way to get the shot -
which means capturing images in near darkness, when even 1.4 at 1/15th won't
do the trick, or when you need a faster shutter speed, and the Noct. Will
allow you to go up to 1/30th or 1/60th. But under those circumstances, most
of the image will be in deep shadow anyway, so the bokeh isn't jarring.
==
<Mitch> If you examine my settings a little more closely, you'll see the
light was pretty dim:
http://mysite.verizon.net/vze1ssgc/Noct/Snake/index.htm
MP; Noct; Portra 160NC @ EV 100; F/1.0@1/30th

I actually used a Canon PowerShot G3 for some other images of the snake that
I haven't posted yet, but had to use a tripod to get the shots I wanted
because the light was so dim.  With the snake on the move, even the digicam
was pretty much useless.

+++++++++++++++++++++++
<BD> But I just don't get the idea of using this lens in relatively normal
to normal light, when any number of other film and lens combinations will do
the trick. In both these posted cases, Mitch and Joe were using relatively
slow film. And Mitch had to shoot at 1/1000th to be able to shoot at f1.
Yes, it's nice to isolate the subject, but another lens at f 1.4 or even f 2
would provide good isolation - without the smeary, swirly, blurs.
==
<Mitch> After hearing you drone on and on about it over the years, I don't
expect you to *ever* get it.  I have just three M lenses; the Noct, the
goggled 135 and a pre-ASPH 21mm Elmarit.  Only the Noct was useable without
a tripod in the snake scenario, and I always use the widest aperture and
fastest shutter speed to isolate the subject in all my other shots.

Regards,

Mitch
   E-mail: mitch.zeissler@verizon.net

Replies: Reply from bdcolen at earthlink.net (B. D. Colen) ([Leica] Responding to BD's venting about the Noct)