Subject: [Leica] RE: While it is happening (B. D. Colen)
From: dorysrus at mindspring.com (Don Dory)
Date: Wed Jun 23 19:12:22 2004

I have made it a minor hobby to collect old text books, generally middle
and high school level.  All of the previous comments are spot on
regarding the level of ability required to navigate mid-century and
earlier texts.

One mitigating factor in this discussion is that fifty years ago
finishing high school was considered a major achievement; the materials
used assumed a level of ability and desire that is not there anymore, at
least in the U.S.  Now that a high school diploma grants the recipient
almost no rights other than to join the military or perhaps attend an
institution of higher education the course work has been dumbed down
pervasively.

Perhaps that is one reason that real estate is so expensive in those
regions where the public schools are still genuinely good or why so many
private schools have cropped up where they have not.

One area that has become far more rigorous is the sciences.  Just as my
chemistry at the B.S level required mastery of concepts that my father
in law touched on in his Masters, my daughter's I.B high chemistry and
biology cover ground that I didn't see until the 200 and 300 level
courses.  Perhaps that is one reason that the "highly selective"
universities like to see AP or I.B. level sciences in the transcript.
That is one area where a long rambling term paper can never paper over
the lack of basic knowledge.

As to Civil War letters being linguistically excellent, most people were
not literate at that point in U.S. history so those who were literate
wrote for those who could not.

The sum of my ramblings is that we expect from all that which has
historically been accomplished by the few and then malign whoever does
not measure up.

Don
dorysrus@mindspring.com