Subject: [Leica] re" styling an M5 vs engineering
From: Thinkofcole at aol.com (Thinkofcole@aol.com)
Date: Tue Jun 22 10:59:29 2004

     For Tony Salce of Melbourne, Australia, I'd like to take a crack at
answering his query about the difference between styling and engineering,
using
the Mercedes Benz as an example of how I believe the Germans do it.
     In the ''old days,'' say in the Fifties and Sixties, Mercedes turned
its
engineers loose on designing a car -- delivering a great engine, great steel
bumpers, great steel body, beautiful wood interior, a marvel in every way.
After the engineers got their car, ignoring how much it might cost, the
marketing
people decided how much they could sell it for.
     Today -- and perhaps for the last thirty years or so-- that way of
designing a car proved to make the sales price much too expensive for many
customers. As a result, the new Mercedes still has a great engine and
leather seats,
if you want them,  but the bumpers are now plastic, the body is much lighter
steel , the interior is plastic and more plastic and, so, Mercedes is no
longer
regarded as one of the best cars in the world, except perhaps by long
sufferers like me. [I have loved that three-pointed star for more than half
a century.]
    I believe that that problem -- the need to keep a desirable product
affordable while not exactly inexpensive -- is what has caused many
manufacturers,
not just Leica, to turn first to the stylists to create profitable products
at
a price people can afford and to then assign the engineers to deliver the
product . -- bob cole