Subject: [Leica] RE: While it is happening (B. D. Colen)writing goingdwnhll
From: bdcolen at earthlink.net (B. D. Colen)
Date: Tue Jun 22 08:16:37 2004

That makes sense. If one is paying attention to what one writes - as you
obviously are - the move from typewriter/pen to the computer makes
correction far easier, and therefore far more likely to occur.

On the other hand, the proliferation of Emails as a means of written
communication has lead to the development of various writing shortcuts,
including the dropping of capitalization, use of abbreviations, us of
symbols, i.e. :-), and other devices. As Buzz said, take a look at the
LUG archives if you think that writing has improved over all.

Couple the electronic decline with the decline in the quality of writing
in high schools and colleges, and the picture becomes quite scary.

B. D.