Subject: [Leica] Budget Conscious Leica Users
From: nicholsj at edge.net (JAMES NICHOLS)
Date: Mon Jun 21 19:44:02 2004

I bought my first used Leica LTM in 1952, a Model III factory-converted to a
IIIa.  I have enjoyed Leica photography since that time, though since
requiring full-time eyeglasses, I have also used other systems.  Now
retired, there is no way I can afford a $2500 lens, though  I enjoy reading
about the advances in these systems.  Do any of you recall the days when a
Leica was only a dream for you?

Because I'm on a budget, my SLR is a Pentax Spotmatic SP, for which I have
an SMC Takumar 55mm 1.8, a great lens,  a Soligar 35mm 2.0 Retrofocus, and a
Hanimex 135mm 2.8.  The 35mm will focus down to 1 ft.  I also have a Soligar
2X Converter, which, when used with the three lenses,  gives me a wide
selection of focal lengths.  This combination is exceptionally good with the
35mm, since it provides a 70mm, close functioning combination.

My question is this.  How much does the use of the doubler impair the
quality of the image?  To my eyes, I see very little degradation from the
images I make with a lens alone.  I don't have the equipment to study large
enlargements, so I thought I would turn to some of you for your thoughts.

Jim Nichols
nicholsj@edge.net

Replies: Reply from joelct at singnet.com.sg (joelct) ([Leica] nicholsj@edge.net)
Reply from richard-lists at imagecraft.com (Richard F. Man) ([Leica] Budget Conscious Leica Users)