Subject: [Leica] UFO
From: s.jessurun95 at chello.nl (animal)
Date: Thu Jun 17 14:12:12 2004

> > No major airports in the vicinity but you are absolutely correct.
> > Closer inspection showed it to be the 'Property of Air Traffic Control
Systems'.

> That's a VORTAC. A VORTAC is a VOR and a TACAN in the same building.
>
> A VOR is a VHF Omnidirectional Ranging beacon.
> VHF is the name of the radio frequency used.
> Omnidirectional means it sends in all directions (that's why it has that
ring of antennas around it).
> Beacon means it sends to you, rather than you sending to it.
>
> VORs send airplanes signals that the airplanes can use to navigate.
>
> A TACAN is a TACtical Air Navigation station. It sends VOR-like signals on
a different frequency, and responds to DME (Distance Measuring Equipment)
probes from airplanes equipped with it. In other words, a DME-equipped
airplane can hear a TACAN, send out a probe saying "How far away am I?" and
get an answer back from the TACAN.

> If I were a Very Bad Person and I wanted to make the world stop, I would
coordinate the destruction of a bunch of VORTACS. Airplanes wouldn't be able
to fly so well any more.

We would hardly notice.
Most modern planes use inertial navigation with occasional position updating
.
That can be from star trackers.Visual landmarks ,indeed DME,s and usually
GPS.\best regards
simon

Message from reid at mejac.palo-alto.ca.us (Brian Reid) ([Leica] UFO)