Subject: [Leica] An R series question
From: grduprey at rockwellcollins.com (grduprey@rockwellcollins.com)
Date: Thu Jun 17 13:46:29 2004

Greg

Well this is of course a hot question.  If you want a manual metered body
then the Leicaflex SL is the one to get, with the SL2 a close second.  If
you want auto/manual metering then the R5 and R7 are the next best thing to
the R8/9 cameras, the R7 is the better of the two.  I have the R4SP which
has served me very well, but most here think it is a dud as far as
reliability.  Mine has worked fine for the 14 or so years I have had it,
with only one failure which happened in the past year.  I would stay away
from the R3, although it is not a bad box, but very clumsy in my opinion.
R4's, R5's and SL's can be gotten for reasonable prices.  Not sure about
R7's though.  SL2's go for pretty high dollars compared to the SL.

Gene

|---------+-------------------------------------------------------->
|         |           "Greg Locke" <locke@straylight.ca>           |
|         |           Sent by:                                     |
|         |           lug-bounces+grduprey=rockwellcollins.com@leic|
|         |           a-users.org                                  |
|         |                                                        |
|         |                                                        |
|         |           06/17/2004 01:01 PM                          |
|         |           Please respond to Leica Users Group          |
|         |                                                        |
|---------+-------------------------------------------------------->

>-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |

  |       To:       "'Leica Users Group'" <lug@leica-users.org>
               |
  |       cc:
               |
  |       Subject:  [Leica] An R series question
               |

>-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

A nice 180 f2 lens just landed in my lap so I guess I need a R body to make
it work.

What was the best R body leica made and which is the ones to stay away
from.

..and I'm not really interested in the R8/9 bodies.

Thanks,

Greg Locke
St. John's, Newfoundland
www.greglocke.com
 ----JUST RELEASED-------
NEWFOUNDLAND ...journey into a lost nation
by Greg Locke and Michael Crummey
McClelland and Stewart
ISBN # 0-7710-6142-0