Subject: [Leica] PAW From Jim Shulman, The Horsey Set
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Tue Jun 15 05:36:12 2004

On 6/14/04 3:08 PM, "Jim Shulman" <jshul@comcast.net> wrote:

> Attended the Devon (PA) horse show a few weeks ago.  This is one of the
> country's leading horse shows, attracting enthusiasts, hangers-on, assorted
> toffs and their sycophants.
>
> http://www.photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=2444426&size=lg
> Leica M3, Efke 100, Yellow Filter, 3.5 Red Scale Elmar.
>
> Jim Shulman
> Bryn Mawr, PA

Sorry but I'd have guessed by the skin tones that you'd used a yellow
filter.
It almost looks like you used an 81a or b filter though.

A yellow filter is not a good all around filter. It's called by Kodak a
"cloud" filter. But not a "people" filter. It bleaches out their coloration
so they look all pasty. Like a cross between Tiny Tim and the Pillsbury
Doughboy. Maybe not that bad. That would be an orange. Perhaps a grapefruit.

The only filters which don?t make people look bad are yellow-green or green
filters. They make people look great not like they are from Venus as you
might think. Their coloring is accentuated which is rarely bad unless they
have heaps of zits or are a red head with lots of freckles.
(I think redheads come from spores from a tail of a comet but don?t spread
that one around. A different comet than the one which brought the spores for
the brunettes and the blonds. They came at different times. But their paths
crossed)

Red filters take all those freckles away but make people look like they are
from Mars.
White lips.
Very spookey.

Blue filters make them look like they are from Neptune. And steals all
contrast from the neg making it barely printable even with #5.
I don't use blue filters for nothin.
Ansel uses them for making things look far far away.
I just use a superwide for that.

Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland Oregon