Subject: [Leica] in memoriam: Sal DiMarco, Jr.
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Sun Jun 13 07:28:26 2004

"Leica's? Several of them, you must be Ted Grant? I was told to watch out
for you on the campaign." Standing before me was Sal. :-)

Waiting to board the Prime Minister's plane was this big smiling
be-spectacled face with a couple of Leica's hanging off him like myself,
offering an out stretched hand shake.

We were shooting the final stage of a Canadian federal election campaign in
'88.

That's how we met, became friends and fellow non-competing photographers
over the ensuing years while meeting here and there at various events.

The day after the election while flying back to Ottawa, the PM and his
political party had won, we were at 30,000 feet with flying time to kill and
Sal asked me to use his Leica to photograph him with the Prime Minster for
his collection of "Sal with famous people."

I set it up, shot it and forgot it.

Many years later Sal was the special Saturday morning guest speaker at the
Cape Cod Leica Seminar. Usually I don't have the pleasure of seeing the
guest speaker's presentation. However in this case it was arranged for me to
do so.

Sal opened by saying he had the honour of owning an original Ted Grant
famous people photograph. :-) And with that.......

Fade to black and up came the opening slide of he and the Prime Minster on
the plane! :-)  Surprise! :-) I was humbled my friend had remembered. And
glad it had turned out OK.

So it's with fond memories of our first meeting and many encounters over the
years I will miss him, but never ever forget him!

ted Grant