Subject: [Leica] Remembering the Reagan years
From: bdcolen at earthlink.net (B. D. Colen)
Date: Thu Jun 10 07:34:06 2004

Actually, Reagan DID put himself in that position - but people like
Ollie North, Poindexter et al bit the bullet and protected him.

As someone pointed out somewhere in the last 24 hours, what was such a
fascinating difference between the 80s and 90s is that during the 80s,
the Democrats attacked Reagan - for his policies and governance - During
the 90s, the Republicans spent their energy attacking Clinton on a
personal level. Yes, Clinton was/is a deeply flawed individual who
couldn't keep his pants up. But as we well know, he was hardly the first
President - Democrat or Republican - to carry on outside marriage while
in office, nor will he be the last. But a right-wing cabal that was
every bit as bitter over the fact that Clinton had "robbed" them of the
White House as many Democrats are over the Florida mess in 2000, set out
from election day on to bring him down.

The bottom line, of course, is that Clinton's HUGE mistake, like Nixon
before him and Bush II after him, was not to simple and publicly say -
'Ooops! Boy, did I fuck up.' Had Clinton done that, the whole mess would
have gone away - at least in terms of attempts to impeach him, and, far
more important, in terms of his being so damn distracted those during
the second term that he often didn't focus where he should have. Let's
not forget, that when he responded to the African embassy bombings he
was accused of "wagging the dog," and now he's being accused by the same
people of not having responded strenuously enough.

And btw, I am NOT a Clinton fan - although I do think he was the best
Republican President since Eisenhower. ;-)