Subject: [Leica] That Leica Glow
From: jkoplen at mindspring.com (Julian Koplen)
Date: Wed Jun 9 07:37:00 2004

To All who do Leica and USM:

Something I have never understood--relation of USM to Leica lens quality.
Most of us have paid dearly for our Leica lenses partly because they deliver
the degree of sharpness that pleases us.  When I scan with my Sprintscan
4000, those scans never look really sharp, certainly not like the slide from
whence they came.  Often, they look very unsharp, again compared with the
slide.  So then I do the USM bit, mostly through trial and error until I get
something passable to these aging eyes.

By then, I never feel like I have the same picture that is on the slide.  I
then wonder if I have a defective scanner.  I wonder if, using the scanner
doesn't turn into the great leveler of lens quality..  My questions are
mostly rhetorical, since I don't plan to get rid of my Leica stuff, but
still I wonder.  And I guess the same question could be asked of color and
contrast, since none of these really match the slide without the use of
curves, etc.

I believe Vuescan gives me less unsharp scans than Silverfast.

Thanks for any insights...............Julian