Subject: [Leica] Lack of horror for the week
From: aaron.sandler at duke.edu (Aaron Sandler)
Date: Tue Jun 1 13:34:46 2004

At 03:49 PM 6/1/2004, Kim wrote:
>why apologise or justify your photo?  It's  a lovely shot.

Thanks, Kim, for your comment.

You asked why I felt the need to justify:

I think it's due to a several reasons.  I recently bought a copy of
"Magnum: Fifty years at the front line of history" by Russell Miller and
I've been reading about the early days with Capa, HCB, Chim, George Rodger,
and their crew.  The book presents them as such an idealistic group, out to
change the world by documenting the suffering and evil of war and
exploitation, as well as convey the sense that all people are all the same
(like the original Family of Man idea).  It all sounds a little hokey now,
and ignores the flip side of the numbing that can occur with overexposure
to the evils of the world, but the idealism they had really appeals to me.

Then put that in the context of all the LUG-chatter this week about the
Iraq prison scandal, etc., and debate about appropriate level of
outrage.  I vote, I express my feeling to my friends, family, and
coworkers, and I give what little I can to causes I believe in, but I've
still been wondering how much blame is mine for not doing more.  Probably
it's a natural part of being in my latter time as a graduate student, where
it feels like day after day and year after year has been spent doing things
that aren't likely to make any difference to anything other then me getting
my degree.  :)  I try to avoid airing my politics here because it seems
like the wrong place, and anyway with the level of polarization in the USA
these days, it doesn't seem likely I'd change anyone's mind.  Plus, even
the people I agree with seem mostly to be filled with negativity about the
current situation.  I don't blame them; I'm pretty negative about what's
happening inside this country as well as overseas, but I do wish I could
find a more positive outlook and direction, kind of like the Magnum
founders when they ran around with their screw mount Leicas and visions of
a future world with peace and justice for all.

So, combine all that with your eloquent plea to "Forget the cute PAWS of
yawning babies, sleeping kittens, or a bucolic landscape, give me a lense
that lets
me capture the rot within," and I sometimes question the time I spend
taking photos.

Well, you did ask!  :)

-Aaron

Replies: Reply from images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] Lack of horror for the week)