Subject: [Leica] Susan Sontag on Iraq Photos
From: msmall at infionline.net (Marc James Small)
Date: Mon May 31 19:25:43 2004

At 01:32 PM 5/31/04 -0400, B. D. Colen wrote:

> Before making a statement such as that above perhaps you might want to
>catch up on the news...Because in light of reports of, at this point, as
>many as 76 homicides, to say nothing of rapes of women prisoners and
>male prisoners being raped with various objects, it sounds a bit silly.
>In fact it reminds me of Rush Limbaugh's comparison of what was going on
>at Abu Grahib with a Skull and Bones initiation - "Haven't you ever
>heard of letting off steam?" the junkie asked one of his "ditto heads."

BD

There is no evidence, none at all, that any rapes or murders occurred at
Abu Grahib, merely accusations.  As is the case with most US citizens, I
will await the developments which occur with the six investigations
underway.  Obviously, if there were such acts committed, then there will be
prosecutions for such actions.  As the record stands at present, though, no
one was killed at the prison nor physically assaulted:  all the hard
evidence we have shows merely humiliations of various sorts being inflicted
on Iraqi prisoners.

The death rate at Abu Grahib is in line with that experienced in US prisons
and is somewhat lower than that normally experienced in POW camps over the
past 70 years.  This is hardly a red flag, despite the claims of wild-eyed
fanatics thirsting most mightily to denigrate the US effort in Iraq.

Finally, pray, quit bringing up Rush Limbaugh in your responses to my
postings.  I detest him as the compromiser which he has proven to be, as is
also the case with Hannaday and Michael Reagan.  Now, Boortz is a
refreshing difference:  I often don't agree with him but appreciate the
spirit in which he approaches a problem.  And Ken Hamblin is also worth the
listening, and for the same reason -- I am philosophically far closer to
Hamblin than to Boortz.

Marc

msmall@infionline.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!

Replies: Reply from daniel.ridings at muspro.uio.no (Daniel Ridings) ([Leica] Susan Sontag on Iraq Photos)
Reply from feli at creocollective.com (Feli di Giorgio) ([Leica] Susan Sontag on Iraq Photos)
Reply from tim at KairosPhoto.com (Tim Atherton) ([Leica] Susan Sontag on Iraq Photos)
Message from bdcolen at earthlink.net (B. D. Colen) ([Leica] Susan Sontag on Iraq Photos)