Subject: [Leica] FS: Noctilux(yellow filter)
From: dorysrus at mindspring.com (Don Dory)
Date: Mon May 31 17:00:28 2004

Simon,
Techpan is one of those films that photographers give up almost
everything for ultra fine grain.  You have to do strange contortions in
developing to get anything like normal gradation.  You have to accept an
extremely high red sensitivity.  Your effective film speed is really in
the ISO range of 12 no matter what the claims are.  To get the sharpness
that the fine grain demands you have to shoot with a tripod, careful
focus, moderate aperture but not so far down that you are diffraction
limited.

In most cases, if you want ultimate technical quality, go up in format.

To get most of the fine grain with a good grayscale, films such as
Acros, Delta 100, or Plus X will give much better results with a lot
less trouble.

Just my 0.02

Don
dorysrus@mindspring.com