Subject: [Leica] The Horror, The Horror
From: bdcolen at earthlink.net (B. D. Colen)
Date: Fri May 28 13:13:03 2004

The fact that there have always been secret horrors doesn't mean that
all the military - correction, specific individuals within the chain of
command - are guilty of is stupidity for making a photographic record of
said horrors.

Actually, many of history's most horrific acts were recorded in great
detail for posterity, because those committing the acts believed
themselves to be on the side of the angels. Consider, for example, the
Inquisition - there are voluminous, detailed records torture sessions;
consider the photos of lynching, with the killers grinning for the
camera; consider the anal retentive Third Reich; and on a far more
mundane plane, consider Richard Nixon's taping of his Watergate
conversations.

What's different this time is the technology - digital cameras that are
cheap enough for virtually every GI to carry, CD writers in laptops, and
the internet to transmit them around the world.

B. D.