Subject: [Leica] a couple new ones
From: telyt at earthlink.net (Douglas Herr)
Date: Fri May 28 08:52:10 2004

Dan Post <dpost@triad.rr.com> wrote:

> Wonderful shots- I bet that will be one of the few times anyone will ever
> again sneak up on that turkey; those little guys get skittish really fast! I
> am amazed that wildlife photogs can seemingly go into a stealth mode and get
> shots I can only dream about.

Dan, I find that stealth mode doesn't work very well.  The animals know the territory much better than I do, they can see when something isn't right, and their lives depend on detecting stealthy predators.  When I go into stealth mode they see a predator.  What works better for me is to spend a few hours with them, learn enough of their body language to tell when they are nervous or relaxed, and find some way to tell them I'm not a threat.  Eventually I become part of the scenery.  Good thing the 280 APO has a good close focus limit :-)

> One question- here in NC we call chipmunks ground squirrels--- do the
> California version have the big fluffy tails or are their tails short and
> small like chipmunks? Just curious.

Lots of variation among chipmunks, ground squirrels and tree squirrels.  Try www.enature.com to ID yours.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento