Subject: [Leica] Susan Sontag on Iraq Photos
From: abridge at dcn.org (Adam Bridge)
Date: Wed May 26 16:03:29 2004

On 5/26/04 <elaine@chaos.wustl.edu (Elaine -HFB- Ashton)> thoughtfully wrote:

>Living outside the US, it is a bit more aggravating since everywhere else
>in the world is getting a less filtered feed of photos and commentary. I
>keep wondering how Janet Jackson's nipple raised 10 times the furor and
>outrage than did these photos inside the US.

I hardly think that's an accurate statement. There is deep and abiding anger
about the revelations and the photographs and it's having a substantial effect
on public opinion.

Janet Jackson's nipple is an indication more of a cultural frustration with
control and danger than anything else. It has become a power struggle where the
religious right can now have another arms race with the devil - this time in the
form of MTV and shock jocks.

I can relate. I was disgusted, not by the fact that we actually saw an almost
bare breast during the Super Bowl but that it was so carefully
contrived...exactly like politics almost everywhere.

Adam Bridge

Replies: Reply from bdcolen at earthlink.net (B. D. Colen) ([Leica] Susan Sontag on Iraq Photos)
Reply from daniel.ridings at muspro.uio.no (Daniel Ridings) (Little things ... Re: [Leica] Susan Sontag on Iraq Photos)