Subject: [Leica] Epson digital, or what?
From: pklein at 2alpha.net (Peter Klein)
Date: Sun May 23 15:35:09 2004

I'm in a bit of a quandry about the whole film vs. digital situation.  I'm
going to muse out loud, and I invite others to join me.  But note that this
is a practical matter, not a religious issue, from a guy who rarely prints
above letter size.  :-)

I would like to change over some (not all) of my photography to digital,
and main reason is simple--*time*.  Dynamic range and image quality issues
concern me.  But the main issue is time.  Or lack thereof.

The Victoria Spring Shoot is a case in point. I shot three rolls of
film--not much by professional standards, sure. But I have a very demanding
job and the usual family and personal responsibilities. Plus, my company
just moved, and as one of the IT guys, I've been totally swamped lately.

Scanning all the pictures I want to show is taking too much time, and I'm
not even half through yet.  My Spring Shoot pictures include some good
shots--but not "portfolio keepers"--of people I like, and I'd like to share
them.  But the scanning/editing process just takes so long that some of
them are not done, and some of them may never get done.  If I'd shot them
digitally, I could have probably gotten all of them posted in an evening or
two.

Add to all this the thought that I'd eventually like to get paid for some
of my photography, and digital becomes a must.

I've tried enough digicams and DSLRs to know that the digicam route is not
for me.  Even the high end digicams have sensors that are too small to give
me the image quality I demand at ISO 400 and beyond.  And operation is just
too slow.  This even applies, alas, to the Digilux II, which I must say is
the best digicam I've ever tried. But I recently compared D2 images to
those from a Pentax *ist, taken of the same subjects.  The *ist images win
hands-down at all ISOs, and in terms of shooting speed.  I suspect that
other 6 mp DSLRs would give similar results.

At this point, Plan A is to get the Epson R-D1 when it comes out.  I
already have the lenses, and I prefer the rangefinder way of shooting to
SLR.  It's a natural.  But there are still many "ifs" that won't be
answered until the camera is actually available.  Will the viewfinder
eyepoint be high enough for a person who sometimes wears glasses?  Will the
price be anything near reasonable, or will it be priced for collectors and
status buyers?  How available will it be in the U.S.?  What other
investment will be required in terms of special software, proprietary
batteries, etc.  Will the shutter be as noisy as the Bessa R2 double
shutter, or more Leica-like?  Will it be a flash in the pan, or will Epson
support it long-term? Will the camera's internal processing be fast enough
for a Leica shooter?

What do I define as "anything near reasonable" a price?  I'd say around
$1500.  With DSLRs like the Nikon D70 coming out at the $1000 mark, there's
only so much premium Epson can charge for the R-D1 being a rangefinder
before I look elsewhere.  The figures of $3300 I've heard are just just
plain outrageous, and anything over $2000 is still out of line, IMHO.  The
R-D1 is not a Leica camera with Leica mechanics and Leica optics.  It can't
justify such a price even with all that Leica marketing psychobabble about
"branding"--which has pushed the Digilux 2 price above my tolerance
level.  I might pay $3300 for a proven Leica M digital.  But not $6000.

Which leads to Plan B.  If the R-D1 turns out to be not for me, I'll
probably look for a DSLR in the $1000 to $1500, 5-6 Megapixel
class.  Probably with a couple of decent primes.  I may not get a zoom with
it at all.  I have a number of criteria:

- Most suitable for a Leica-type shooter
- Fast autofocus in reasonable available light.
- Good handling, ergonomics (Advantage *ist and D70)
- Reasonable size and weight.  Advantage *ist and E-1.
- Handles the blown highlights issue with minimum fuss.
- Can shoot RAW if needed, but good enough highest-quality JPG shot in
reasonable lighting.
- Availability of good glass.  Probably they all meet this test.
- Availability of reasonably-priced good glass.  Advantage *ist (Pentax).
- Can use same-brand old manual-focus glass with reasonable metering.
- Can use old Olympus glass I already own.  Minor point, advantage E-1 and 10D.

So far, the Pentax *ist is looking very good for size/weight, handling and
ergonomics.  Nikon and Canon mean going with the market leaders, as in "you
can't go wrong by buying ____."  I haven't tried the D70 yet, but I have
been impressed by the use reports, particularly one at
http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d70.htm.  If I went Canon, I'd probably go
for a 10D rather than a Rebel (stripped-down features), but the 10D size is
a bit bigger than some others.

So that's what I'm thinking about lately.  Anybody else who is (or has
been) in a similar situation, please share.

--Peter Klein
Seattle, WA

Replies: Reply from telyt at earthlink.net (Doug Herr) ([Leica] Epson digital, or what?)
Reply from jbcollier at shaw.ca (John Collier) ([Leica] Epson digital, or what?)
Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] Epson digital, or what?)
Reply from rdcb37 at cyberone.com.au (Rick Dykstra) ([Leica] Epson digital, or what?)
Reply from images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] Epson digital, or what?)