Subject: [Leica] Re:best lens to take anywhere
From: Summicron1 at aol.com (Summicron1@aol.com)
Date: Tue May 18 17:42:24 2004

this question keeps coming up.

if you have to ask "should i take by 500mm lens" you probably shouldn't.
You'rethinking about the problem too much, trying to anticipate every situation in
advance and be prepared for it in advance. Since you don't know what you'll
meet in advance, however, this process only guarantees that (a) you'll be
prepared for all the wrong things and none of the real things and (b) you're gonna
have to haul all that crap everywhere, and it weighs a TON.

The trick is mobility and an ability to shift gears quickly. Pare down, do
away with. Remember, the more lenses you carry, the greater the odds you have
the wrong lens on the camera.

I'm going to italy in june and have it pretty well pared down to the CL, the
15mm, the 25mm (still deciding on this) the 40 and the 90 and I'll probably
end up using the Olympus XA mostly for B/W.

that's it. Call me lazy. So i miss the head and shoulders shot of the pope --
plenty of those around already.

ttfn

charlie trentelman