Subject: [Leica] Best Lenses To Take To Honolulu
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Tue May 18 16:01:11 2004

Gene asked:
> Well let's put it this way  I plan on taking all of my lenses and 3 leicas
> on our trip to Germany and Poland in December, but Should I/or is it wise
> to take the 560/6.8 Telyt?  I ask this as it could be mistaken by one of
> the local authorities as a rifle, especially if I use the shoulder stock,
> which is probably the best way to steady this lens.  I would not want them
> to shoot first and ask questions later, but this is my only really long
> lens.<<<<<<,

Hi gene,
I'd suggest an absolute no-no under the circumstance of today's world with
the nut cases carrying rocket launchers like kid's carry bags of pop corn.

During the 6 day Mid east war in 1967 I had a noveflex 240 lens with pistol
grip for fast focusing and on the last day of the war in Bethlehem I walked
around the corner of a building and right in front of me were three
beautifully sun-lit Arab clothed men. Man the lens and camera came up in the
blink of an eye and just as quickly, I think quicker, they threw their arms
in the air in complete surrender!

Hell I was so surprised I didn't take the picture and as quickly put the
camera down.

In that spit second on a three to one bases, me with only camera, if they
had AK 47's the chances are quite likely I'd not be typing this anecdote.
:-( And yes I did take them in surrender and turned them over to couple of
Israeli soldiers around the next corner.

As far as the 560 goes, if you were there on assignment for a sporting event
it wouldn't be a problem because during times like that long lenses to very
long and extreme are a dime a dozen. Quite often with a coloured tape around
the lens shade to identify it as a camera.

During the Queen's Royal Tours a similar identification method is used for
all the media shooters.. 'er excuse me.. photographers. ;-)

But in the general sense of a "holiday shoot" it's highly unlikely you'd
need it. By the same token when I used mine on some non-sport assignments I
just slung it over my back and rode horse back most of the day shooting from
the saddle hand held with motor drive and shoulder stock. Great during the
cattle round-up when producing colour slides for my "Men of the Saddle."
book.

Only bad thing was when it was slung over the back with a heavy strapping it
was prone to hang-up in low hanging branches and would tangle and before I
could get the horse "stopped" I damn near got hung a couple of times. :-)

Leave it at home and come back safe and all in one piece.

ted