Subject: [Leica] Documentary Photography Book Review
From: wayneserrano at earthlink.net (Wayne Serrano)
Date: Tue May 18 12:33:53 2004

On 5/18/04 11:48 AM, "George Lottermoser" <george@imagist.com> wrote:

> The following review of a major piece of Documentary Photography seems both
> timely and historically important:
> Evidence of Things Not Seen
>
> by CHRIS HEDGES
>
> Agent Orange: "Collateral Damage" in Viet Nam
> by Philip Jones Griffiths
>
> [from the May 24, 2004 issue of The Nation]
>
> My father and most of my uncles fought in World War II. I grew up in the
> shadow of the war. But it was not the romantic war of movies and books,
> although this romance infected me as it did all of the other farm kids in my
> town. It was the war of the emotionally and physically maimed. My father, who
> had been an army sergeant in North Africa, went to seminary after the war and
> became a Presbyterian minister. When he spoke about the war you could almost
> see him push his rifle away. He loathed the military and especially the lie
> that war is about glory and manhood and patriotism. When our family visited
> museums he steered us away from the ordered displays of weapons, the rows of
> muskets and artillery pieces, which gleamed from behind cases or roped-off
> areas.
>
> He was an early opponent of the Vietnam War. During a Fourth of July parade in
> the farm town where I grew up he turned to me as the paunchy veterans walked
> past and said acidly, "Always remember, most of those guys were fixing the
> trucks in the rear." He hated the VFW hall where these men went, mostly to
> drink. He found their periodic attempts to re-create the comradeship of war,
> something that of course could never be re-created, pathetic and sad. When I
> was about 12 in 1968 he told me that if I was drafted for the Vietnam War he
> would go to prison with me. To this day I have a vision of sitting in a jail
> cell with my dad.
>
> But it was my Uncle Maurice I thought most about as I looked through the
> images in Agent Orange: "Collateral Damage" in Viet Nam, by the photographer
> Philip Jones Griffiths. Uncle Maurice was in the regular Army in 1939 in the
> South Pacific and fought there until he was wounded five years later by a
> mortar blast. He did not return home with my father's resilience, although he
> shared my father's anger and feeling of betrayal. His life was destroyed by
> the war. He refused to accept his medals, including his Purple Heart.
>
> Maurice would sit around the stove in my grandmother's home and shake as he
> struggled to ward off the periodic bouts of malaria. He did not talk about the
> war. And so he drank. He became an acute embarrassment to our family, who
> lived in a manse where there was no alcohol. He could not hold down a job. His
> marriage fell apart. Another uncle hired him to work in his lumber mill, but
> Maurice would show up late, often drunk, and then disappear on another binge.
> He finally drank himself to death in his trailer, but not before borrowing and
> selling the hunting rifle my grandfather had promised me. The money, I am
> [...]
Excellent words.. I often wonder why all leaders of religion and government
just don't speak out against war and conflict and oppose all efforts that
turn us from becoming better human beings.

Replies: Reply from george at imagist.com (George Lottermoser) ([Leica] Documentary Photography Book Review)