Subject: [Leica] Scanning Software
From: pklein at 2alpha.net (Peter Klein)
Date: Thu May 13 19:04:09 2004

I use VueScan.  It's gotten better results out of my Leica negs and slides
than the native software of either my former Nikon LS-2000 or my current
Canon FS-4000.  But what Tina and others point out is quite true--Vuescan
is not intuitive.  What it does for you is worth its weight in *gold.*  But
the user interface is expertware (or geekware, if you prefer).

I've gotten to the point with Vuescan where I usually know what to do.  But
when I switch films, upgrade to a new version, or just haven't used it for
a few days, I often blow the first scan because I forgot to go to the third
menu on the right and change Parameter X from "obscure" to "opaque."

The CanonScan application is very intuitive, and the infrared clean is a
little more effective.  But unfortunately, it works slower than VueScan,
and always ends up losing a bit of both highlight and shadow detail. Hard
and contrasty, like 4x6 prints from the drugstore.

Can someone tell me how to get (with Canonscan) the "flat" Vuescan-like
scans where all none of the dynamic range is thrown away?  If I ever figure
this out, I'd happily use the Canonscan software for all but the hardest
scans.  But so far, Vuescan wins almost every time.

--Peter