Subject: [Leica] Who Still Has a Darkroom?
From: msmall at infionline.net (Marc James Small)
Date: Wed May 12 14:53:41 2004

I moved into my present house almost two years ago, and dedicated a room in
the attic for use as a darkroom (it had originally been the  Servants
Quarters' when this house was built in 1897).  I have never completed
fixing it up as such, as I now scan my negatives and slides and, now that I
am getting a bit familiar with this, I have no strong desire to go back to
chemical work.  I can load film into tanks in a changing bag and processing
is no big thing.

But I am unwilling to give up, quite yet, on the ability to produce
chemical prints as they still are better in quality than are scans, at
least with my current gear and at my current level of expertise.   I
suspect I will never finish making the putative darkroom completely
light-tight and air-conditioned but, still, I cannot quite give up on it.
I have a grand set of gear (a Leica V35 and a Beseler 23CX-II with
Rodenstock APO enlarging lenses, all sorts of trays, tongs, timers, lights,
&c &c) -- Hell, I not only have 16mm and 127 reels but I have not one but
TWO print driers.  And finishing the darkroom would be a matter of five or
six hours or less.

Dreams die hard.  I spent a magnificent number of hours over forty years in
a darkroom and I guess it is time to admit that I'll probably never enlarge
another negative.  But I'm not willing, yet, to come to terms with this
reality.

So, like Tina, I can and do process film but scanning is becoming just so
damned EASY!

Marc

msmall@infionline.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!