Subject: [Leica] Best known photo ?
From: bdcolen at earthlink.net (B. D. Colen)
Date: Wed May 12 12:11:39 2004

Very briefly -

The photo flag raising photo was not of a staged event - it was of the
raising of a larger flag. Staged implies that it was set up for the
purpose of being photographed; it was not.

I would never describe HCB as a photojournalist - and I would never say
that the photo of the boy with the bottle had anything to do with
photojournalism.

I would suggest that not only is the decisive moment not about
journalism, it is also not about capturing the essence of someone - the
decisive moment, I would argue, is that instant when it occurs to the
photographer that there are photographic possibilities in the scene he
or she is observing. Were that not the case, we would have no way to
explain the fact that HCB was a prodigious shooter who worked a scene to
death - and from his contacts then selected an image. ;-)

B. D.