Subject: [Leica] Best known photo ?
From: bdcolen at earthlink.net (B. D. Colen)
Date: Wed May 12 06:17:02 2004

The Iwo photo was NOT faked - go do some reading. There were TWO flag
raisings; the second, which Rosenthal shot, was the second - the idea
was to raise a flag large enough to be seen all over the island. This
particular "faked photo" story was laid to rest several years ago.

And the fact that there were other people shooting with 35 doesn't mean
that Capa isn't the one who created the form, in the sense of making it
work, and bringing it to world attention. Keep in mind that HCB always
said that he was NOT a photojournalist. In fact, at the time Magnum was
formed, Capa specifically advised HCB to call himself a photojournalism
because, he told HCB, no one would buy photos from him if he described
himself as a surrealist photographer - which was what he really was, and
thought of himself as.

B. D.